In order to complete field experience within the Chicago Public Schools, students must complete a two-step process. Field experience includes any students completing observations, pre-clinical hours, practicum experiences and any PRE-student teaching experiences in CPS schools. Field experience is NOT the same as student teaching clearance.
To get a Background Check there are two steps that must be followed:
After your livescan fingerprints are completed, Accurate Biometrics will send your fingerprints to the Illinois State Police and to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Once your fingerprints have been cleared, the ISP and the FBI will send the clearance to Accurate Biometrics. Accurate Biometrics will send the clearance to CPS. CPS will then send you an e-mail with your Approval Notice form attached. This will take at least two weeks to be processed. The Approval Notice is valid for all of your field experiences until it is time to Student Teach. When you are getting ready to student teach, you will go through the process one more time.
- Registration Form ~ Visit www.cps.edu/careers and click on Field Experience Program to access the online registration form. Complete the online form.
- Please enter Kate Liston as the name of the Coordinator of Field Experiences/IHE Coordinator
- Enter 773-325-7768 for the telephone number of the Coordinator of Field Experiences.
- There is a $60 fee for the background check
- Criminal Background Check form ~ Visit www.cps.edu/careers and click on Field Experience Program for the CPS Fingerprinting Form. Print the form and take it to the Accurate Biometrics Office closest to you. You can find the locations by going to www.accuratebiometrics.com . Put the receipt that you will receive from Accurate Biometrics in a safe place. You will need it in case any questions should arise.
Please contact Kate Liston at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about background checks and/or Student Teaching.