College of Education > Student Resources > Field Experience & Student Teaching > Student Teaching > Student Teaching Exceptions

Student Teaching Exceptions

Missing Student Teaching Deadlines

Students who miss the student teaching deadlines may submit an Exception to Academic Policy Form to the Student Teaching Committee. The Exception to Academic Policy Form must explain why the student missed the deadline and why s/he should be admitted into the requested quarter.

Withdrawing from Student Teaching

Before the experience begins:
Students may not withdraw from a student teaching placement once a contract with a cooperating school has been signed. When placement is secured, a DePaul course voucher is promised to the school and a supervisor contract is written. Exceptions to this policy will be considered only if the student presents a statement of hardship to the Student Teaching Committee.

During the experience:
Unlike regular DePaul courses, students may not withdraw themselves from their student teaching and capstone or seminar courses. Since DePaul holds valid contractual arrangements with each school including a course voucher and supervisor contract for all student teaching placements, any change in placement or status during the student teaching quarter must be approved by the Student Teaching Committee.

Student Teaching in Your Own Classroom

Students who meet the requirement of Illinois Administrative Code 25.620 (definition and conditions may be found at may apply to student teach in his/her own classroom. In order to be considered, students must make an appointment with the director of Field Experiences and Student Teaching to obtain the additional requirements and documentation necessary.

Statement of Hardship

A statement of hardship may be submitted to the Student Teaching Committee if the student can provide documentation that one of the following has occurred:

  • Health related issue/illness
  • Employment change
  • DePaul University course-related issues
  • Personal hardship (e.g. death, divorce, physical, mental or emotional disability)

Please note that all appeals and all statement of hardship applications must be submitted with appropriate documentation to support the claim.