College of Education > Admission & Aid > Graduate Admission > International Student Admission

International Student Admission

​​The College of Education's Graduate Admissions staff assists international students through the admission process and addresses their needs. You are considered an international student if you were educated outside of the United States. You will submit international educational credentials as part of your application, and/or you are or will be in F-1 or J-1 visa status while you are enrolled at DePaul.

As an international student, in addition to the regular application requirements for any graduate program in the College of Education, you will need pay a $75 international application fee and meet two additional requirements:

International Degree Evaluation

As part of the application review process, DePaul University conducts a free course-by-course transcript evaluation for coursework completed outside of the U.S. These evaluations can be used for DePaul admission purposes only. If you would like to take advantage of this service, you will need to upload complete academic documents for all post-secondary levels of study at the time of application. These should be in original language with English translation (as needed).

If you choose to "opt out" of DePaul's credential evaluation, you will need to provide your own course-by-course credential evaluation from one of DePaul's preferred outside agencies including Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), One EarthEducational Perspectives, World Education Services (WES), or from another provider who is current member of NACES, as part of your application for admission.

If you choose to use one of these external credential evaluation companies, please direct any questions about required credentials to the evaluation company you have selected and not to our admission office.

Your application will not be reviewed until we receive the completed evaluation from the agency you select.​

​English Language Proficiency

If English is not your native language, you will need to demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting a recent score (not more than two years old) from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

The College of Education requires the following English language proficiency scores for admission to any of its graduate programs:

Test Type Minimum Score for Full Admission Minimum Score for Conditional Admission
Internet-based version
(each section at least 22)
(each section at least 15)
computer-based version
paper version
590 500
Duolingo 130
IELTS 7.5 6.0

The English language test requirement above may be waived if the applicant is a native of or studied in full-time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the following countries:


Canada (all providence except Quebec)
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Sierra Leone
South Africa
Trinidad & Tobago
United Kingdom

Students who have been admitted conditionally must enroll full-time in DePaul’s English Language Academy (ELA) and will not be allowed to register for academic classes in the College of Education until the English proficiency is met by retaking the ELA TOEFL test (available at the end of each quarter term) AND completing ELA's University Bridge Level.

Please note: The College of Education does not make exceptions to its English language proficiency requirement under any circumstances

Requesting a Student Visa

Individuals who come to the United States to study must apply for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. To apply for a student visa, you must first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (also known as a SEVIS I-20 form.)

You will be required to submit documentation to our office before DePaul will issue an I-20 to you, including the following:

  • Bank statements (must show proof of adequate financial support for your first year of study at DePaul)
  • Financial Affidavit of Support (lists annual tuition and living expenses)
  • Copy of your passport identification page

If you plan to bring dependents (a spouse and/or children) to the U.S. with you, you will need to also submit passport identification pages for each dependent, as well as a marriage certificate for your spouse and birth certificates for your children. In addition, you will need to show a higher amount of financial support, as outlined in the Financial Affidavit of Support form.

Full instructions for requesting a student visa and detailed information about enrolling at DePaul as an international student are available through the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Take the next step.

Office of International AdmissionRequest More InfoApply

Graduate Admission

College of Education Graduate Admissions
DePaul University
1 E. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604​
Tel: (773) 325–4405