College of Education > Academics > Counseling & Special Education > Graduate Programs > Counseling (MA/MEd) > Specialty Area Requirements > College Counseling & Student Affairs

College Counseling & Student Affairs Specialty Area Requirements

This master’s degree prepares counseling professionals to work in various offices within student affairs such as in career centers, offices of residence life, and college counseling centers.  It provides the counseling professional with the skills to provide individual and group counseling and to serve as a leader and advocate for students, universities, and the profession.

Course Requirements

Social and Cultural Studies Courses: 8 quarter hours required, grade of B- or better required

Counseling Courses: 52 quarter hours required, grade of B- or better required

Practicum and Internship: 3 courses, 12 hours; grade of B or better is required

    Choose one: Thesis (MA) or Capstone (MEd):

    • Master of Arts (MA) Degree Requirements: Non-credit, non-tuition, grade of B- or better required

    The Master’s Thesis is written in conjunction with CSL 553 and CSL 554 and with faculty advisement.  Enrollment in CSL 559 and an oral examination are required.  Consult the MA Thesis Handbook for additional information.

    • Master of Education (MEd) Degree Requirements

    Capstone project with faculty supervision written in conjunction with CSL 552, CSL 553, and CSL 554.  Does not require additional course enrollment.

    Content displayed from DePaul University catalog.