Dr. Park-Johnson is the director of the Bilingual Education/English as a Second Language Minor. She is also the co-director of the Bilingual Language Development (BiLD) Lab.
- PhD in Linguistics, Purdue University
- MA in Linguistics, Purdue University
- BA in Applied Linguistics and Spanish, University of Michigan
- BBE 404/304 Language, Literacy and Culture
- BBE 555/355/WRD 555 How English Works: English Syntax for ESL and BE Teachers
- BBE 570/370 Second and World Language Literacies and Cultures
- BBE 407/307 Equity Issues in Assessment of Language Learners
- BBE 466/366 First and Second Language Acquisition
- BBE 560/360 Second, World, and Heritage Language Acquisition K-12
Bilingual language acquisition; Heritage language acquisition, loss, and maintenance; Code-switching/-mixing; Language assessment; Syntactic development by bilingual children
Park-Johnson, S. K. (in press). Case ellipsis: Acquisition of variability by young heritage speakers of Korean. International Multilingual Research Journal.
Park-Johnson, S. K. (in press). The role of person in subject auxiliary inversion in English wh-questions: Evidence from Korean-English bilingual children.
Park-Johnson, S. K. (2017). Code mixing as a window into language dominance: Evidence from Korean heritage speakers. Heritage Language Journal, 14(1), 49-69.
Park-Johnson, S. K. (2016). Crosslinguistic influence of wh-in-situ questions by Korean-English bilingual children. International Journal of Bilingualism.
Awards and Honors
2018 Provost’s Collaborative Research Fellowship : Bilingual Language Development in Early Childhood Through Immersion Programs
2017 Stean Center Community Based Research Faculty Fellowship : Language and Identity Development in Early Childhood Through Spanish Immersion Education
2017 Academic Initiatives Grant: Children's Language Use and Development in a Spanish Immersion Early Education Classroom
2015 College of Education Excellence in Teaching Award for Term/Adjunct Faculty, DePaul University
2015 Quality Matters Star Award, DePaul University
2014 and 2015 ENGAGE Faculty Recognition Award, DePaul University