College of Education > Academics > Teacher Education > Graduate Programs > Secondary Education (MA/MEd) > Degree Requirements > English


Content Area Course

 All students need to have sufficient knowledge of the subject they will be teaching. Illinois State Board of Education requires a minimum of 48 quarter hours (32 semester hours) in the content area subject.  Students should meet with their designated Content Area advisor at the beginning of their program for an official written content evaluation and provide a copy to your academic advisor. Requirements can be satisfied by undergraduate coursework or courses taken elsewhere. Content courses must be completed before student teaching.

Requirements for Secondary Education English

All coursework in the content area must earn a grade of C or better and a minimum of 18 quarter hours (12 semester hours) must be coursework at an undergraduate upper level (300-level) or graduate level.  Content area advisors can make course substitutions based on an analysis of student’s transcripts.

  • 1 Reading Poetry course
  • 1 Shakespeare course
  • 1 Literary Research and Writing/Reading Prose course
  • 2 British Literature courses
  • 1 Romanticism in American Literature course
  • 2 American Literature courses
  • 3 Writing and Oral Language courses
  • 1 Grammar or Language and Style course

Course Requirements

Introductory Courses: 12 quarter hours required, grade of C or better.   

Advanced Courses: 28 quarter hours required, grade of C or better.  

Graduate Level Content Area Course: 8 quarter hours required, grade of C or better required.

Two courses in English at the graduate level are required.  Courses must be taken before student teaching if pursuing degree (not required for individuals pursuing licensure only).  Courses must be approved by your Content Area Advisor prior to registration and require graduate level registration.

  • ENG 300 or 400 level English course
  • ENG 300 or 400 level English course

Student Teaching: 8 quarter hours required

Registration in student teaching requires completion of all requirements and procedures listed in the college core section.  EDU 95 indicates to the Illinois State Board of Education that all field experience hours are complete.

Master of Arts (MA) Option Degree Requirements: 4 quarter hours required

This is a Master of Arts degree requirement only.  A master’s thesis is written to fulfill the requirements of this course. An oral examination on the thesis is required. 

Licensure Tests

All individuals licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) are required to complete licensure tests specific to their teaching license. Secondary Education English majors must complete the following tests:

  • Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) (test #400) - assesses knowledge of reading comprehension, language arts, writing, and math.   Test must be passed one quarter prior to Student Teaching.  *Check with your advisor about qualifying for a waiver with acceptable ACT or SAT test scores.
  • English Language Arts Content Area Test (test #207) assesses reading, writing and research, speaking and listening, and literature. Test is required before Student Teaching (deadlines apply).
  • EdTPA - assessment conducted during the student teaching experience including video clips of instruction, lesson plans, student work samples, analysis of student learning and reflective commentaries. Students will submit an electronic portfolio to an outside agency for independent evaluation and a fee will be imposed by that agency as part of the assessment.

Field Experiences​​

Each student seeking licensure from the College of Education/Professional Education Unit must complete supervised field experiences in appropriate settings in conjunction with education courses. The field experiences must include a variety of grade levels, multicultural experiences, and a minimum of 15 hours in special education settings. All field experiences must be completed prior to final approval for student teaching. Field experience hours should be entered by the student into the FEDS system when completing courses with field experience requirements. For details on requirements, expectations, documentation, & courses in your program that require hours, visit the College of Education website.​

Content displayed from Degree Requirements on DePaul University Catalog