- PhD in Language, Literacy and Culture, University of Illinois at Chicago
- MA in English Literature, University of Illinois at Chicago
- BA in English and French Literatures (with honors), University of Chicago
- SEC 321 Inquiry & Application in Developing Secondary English Pedagogy
- SEC 364 Methods: Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Schools
- SEC 381 Teaching English in the High School 2
- T&L 425 Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Education
- TCH 421 Inquiry & Application in Developing Secondary English Pedagogy
- TCH 481 Teaching English in the High School 2
Implications of teachers’ experiences of professional identity for professional practice; Construction of teacher professional identity through language and practice; School culture and academic achievement in urban public education, discursive analysis of media production of education as a profession
Cohen, J. (2010). Teachers in the news: A critical analysis of one US newspaper’s discourse on education, 2006-2007. Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 31(1), 105-119.
Cohen, J. (2010). Getting recognized. Teachers negotiating professional identities as learners through talk. Teaching and Teacher Education, 26(3), 473-481.
Cohen, J. (2008). ‘That’s not treating you as a professional’: Teachers constructing complex professional identities through talk. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 14(2), 79-93.