Dr. Trezek’s research focuses on literacy instruction for beginning and struggling readers, with a particular emphasis on investigating the role that phonemic awareness and phonics play in the development of literacy skills for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. She has more than 12 years of experience working as a special education teacher in the K-12 public school setting and serves as a literacy intervention consultant for several local public schools and for deaf and hard of hearing programs throughout the United States.
- PhD in Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MS in Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- BS in Special Education - Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Illinois State University
- LSI 314 Teaching Literacy to Exceptional Students
- LSI 405 Teaching Literacy to Exceptional Students
- LSI 431 Foundations of Literacy: Assessment and Instruction I
- LSI 432 Developing Literacy: Assessment and Instruction II
- LSI 433 Assessment and Diagnostic Teaching of Reading
- LSI 437 Leadership and Professional Development in Literacy
Effective literacy instruction for special populations; Deaf Education; Direct Instruction; Visual Phonics and Cued Speech
Mayer, C. & Trezek, B. J. (2015). Early literacy development in deaf children. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Trezek, B. J. & Mayer, C. (2015). Using an informal reading inventory to differentiate instruction: Case studies of three deaf learners. American Annals of the Deaf, 160(3), 289-302. doi: 10.153/aad.2015.0025
Mayer, C., & Trezek, B. J. (2014). Is reading different for deaf individuals? Re-examining the role of phonology. American Annals of the Deaf, 159 (4), 359-371.
Trezek, B. J. & Hancock, G. R. (2013). Implementing instruction in the alphabetic principle within a sign bilingual setting. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 18 (3),391-408. doi: 10.1093/deafed/ent016
Trezek, B. J., Wang, Y. & Paul, P. V.(2010). Reading and deafness: Theory, research and practice. Clifton Park, NY: Cengage Learning.
Awards and Honors
Excellence in Teaching Award-DePaul University College of Education
Hall of Fame Inductee-Illinois State University College of Education
Best Paper Award-American Educational Research Association Research on the Education of Deaf Persons Special Interest Group (with K. Malmgren)