Dr. Trezek’s research focuses on literacy instruction for beginning and struggling readers, with a particular emphasis on investigating the role that phonemic awareness and phonics play in the development of literacy skills for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. She has more than 12 years of experience working as a special education teacher in the K-12 public school setting and has served as a literacy intervention consultant for several local public schools and for deaf and hard of hearing programs throughout the United States.
- PhD in Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MS in Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- BS in Special Education - Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Illinois State University
- SER 314 Teaching Literacy to Exceptional Students
- SER 315 Teaching Literacy Field Experience Lab
- SER 405 Teaching Literacy to Exceptional Learners
- SER 419 Teaching Literacy Lab
- SER 431 Foundations of Literacy: Assessment and Instruction
- SER 432 Developing Literacy: Assessment and Instruction
- SER 433 Assessment and Diagnostic Teaching of Reading
- SER 437 Leadership and Professional Development in Literacy
- SER 544 Practicum in Literacy Instruction, Assessment, and Collaboration
Evidenced-based literacy instruction, Deaf education, Direct Instruction, Visual Phonics and Cued Speech
Trezek, B. J. (2017). Cued Speech and the development of reading in English: Examining the evidence. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 22 (4), 1-16. doi: 10.1093/deafed/enx026
Mayer, C., & Trezek, B. J. (2017). Literacy outcomes in deaf students with cochlear implants: Current state of the knowledge. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 22 (5), 1-16. doi: 10.1093/deafed/enx043
Trezek, B. J., & Wang, Y. (2017). Evaluating evidence-based practices in reading interventions for deaf students. In S. W. Cawthon & C. L. Garberoglio (Eds.), Research in Deaf Education: Contexts, Challenges, and Considerations (pp. 277-308). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Mayer, C., & Trezek, B. J. (2015). Early literacy development in deaf children. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Mayer, C., & Trezek, B. J. (2014). Is reading different for deaf individuals Re-examining the role of phonology. American Annals of the Deaf, 159 (4), 359-371. doi: 10.1353/aad.2014.0032
Awards and Honors
Excellence in Research Award (2017) DePaul University, College of Education
Hall of Fame Inductee (2013) Illinois State University College of Education
Excellence in Teaching Award (2012) DePaul University, College of Education