College of Education > Academics > Combined Degree Programs > TEACH: Secondary Education Chemistry

TEACH: Secondary Education Chemistry

Course Requirements

All students need to have sufficient knowledge of the subject they will be teaching.  Illinois State Board of Education requires a minimum of 48 quarter hours (32 semester hours) in the content area subject.  Typically these requirements are met concurrently with the completion of the CSH undergraduate degree program. Prior to admission to the 5th year master’s year, students must meet with their CSH academic advisor to complete an undergraduate degree audit that will include an official written content area evaluation. Any areas of deficiency must be completed prior to beginning student teaching.

Content Area Requirements for Secondary Chemistry Education:

All coursework in the content area must earn a grade of C or better. 

  • General Chemistry I
  • General Chemistry II
  • General Chemistry III
  • Organic Chemistry I
  • Organic Chemistry II
  • Analytical Chemistry
  • Physical Chemistry I
  • Physical Chemistry II
  • Applied Probability and Statistics (2 qh)
  • Chemistry Seminar (2qh)
  • Calculus I
  • Calculus II
  • Calculus III
  • General Physics I
  • General Physics II
  • General Physics III

Choose three of the following Chemistry courses: 12 quarter hours

  • Organic Chemistry III
  • Air Chemistry
  • Solid Waste Chemistry
  • Physical Chemistry III
  • Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
  • Intermediate Organic Chemistry
  • Biochemistry I
  • Biochemistry II
  • Biochemistry III
  • Nuclear Chemistry
  • Biophysical Chemistry
  • Medicinal Chemistry
  • Drugs and Toxicology
  • Nutrition
  • Applied Spectroscopy

Junior Year Coursework : 4 undergraduate quarter hours required

Senior Year Coursework : 4 quarter hours required

Undergraduate/Graduate Double-Counted Courses: 12 undergraduate/graduate quarter hours required, grade of C or better required.

5th Year Master’s Year Coursework, excluding Student Teaching : 32 graduate quarter hours required, grade of C or better required.

Student Teaching : 8 graduate quarter hours required.

Registration in student teaching requires completion of all requirements and procedures  listed in the college core section . EDU 95 indicates to the Illinois State Board of Education that all field experience hours are complete. It is a non-credit, non-tuition course.

Licensure Tests

All individuals licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) are required to complete licensure tests specific to their teaching license.  Secondary Education Chemistry students must complete the following tests:

  • Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) (test #400) - assesses knowledge of reading comprehension, language arts, writing, and math.   Test must be passed one quarter prior to Student Teaching.   *Check with your advisor about qualifying for a waiver with acceptable ACT or SAT test scores.
  • Science: Chemistry Content Area Test (test #106) – assesses knowledge of both geological and chemical science as well as general biological and physical sciences. Test is required before Student Teaching (deadlines apply).
  • EdTPA - assessment conducted during the student teaching experience including video clips of instruction, lesson plans, student work samples, analysis of student learning and reflective commentaries. Students will submit an electronic portfolio to an outside agency for independent evaluation and a fee will be imposed by that agency as part of the assessment.

Field Experiences

Each student seeking licensure from the College of Education/Professional Education Unit must complete supervised field experiences in appropriate settings in conjunction with education courses. The field experiences must include a variety of grade levels, multicultural experiences, and a minimum of 15 hours in special education settings. All field experiences must be completed prior to final approval for student teaching. Students should enter field experience hours into the FEDS system upon completion of each course with field experience requirements.  For details on requirements, expectations, documentation, & courses in your program that require hours, visit the College of Education website.

Content displayed from Degree Requirements on DePaul University Catalog